History of the land?
The name Tiaki Rise is derived from the lands history of providing care and protection, especially for youth.
In the 1920's, the local community, along with a grant from the Potter Family, set up a Trust called "The North Auckland Protestant Orphanage Trust". In 1939, a 6 bedroom building was erected and was used until 2013 as a Home for children in need of care. For various reasons, the Home was closed in 2013, and since then has been used in an informal manner to support families and children in need.
To continue the original objectives of the Trust, the Board leased 2 hectares of land to Te Ora Hou Northland who continue to work with young people on the site.
The Board also transferred an area of 4,000m2 at the corner of Corks Road and Vinegar Hill Road to the Whangarei District Council for the development of a children's park. The remaining land holdings were offered to EB Developments Ltd in 2017 where in partnership, Barrett Homes has now completed a total of 82 out of the total 122 homes.